Are you looking for a more natural way to deal with pain, relieve stress and renew your energy? Essential oils are for you!
Made from the essence of plants and herbs, pure essential oils have been used in ancient medicine for physical, emotional and spiritual wellness. Today, modern holistic and naturopathic practitioners still use the oils for natural medicine. Here at Garden of Life, we specialize in teaching you how to use essential oils in your natural healthcare regimen, including aromatherapy, spiritual and emotional balance, stress relief and pain relief.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the liquids taken from plants and herbs through an extraction process of careful steam distillation and cold pressing. The oils carry the essence of the plant and can be used as medicine, aromatherapy, cleaning aids and other natural remedies for health and wellness.
When used as a part of your natural health care regimen, Essential Oils can be used to:
- Enhance your physical wellness
- Lift your mood
- Relieve stress
- Create deep spiritual awareness
- Spark your creativity
- Boost your energy
- Bring focus and mental clarity
- Help you get a good night’s sleep
- Enhance the flavor of foods and beverages
- Purify your home[/su_tab]
How to Use Essential Oils
There are three main ways to use essential oils: inhale or breathe them in, apply directly to your skin, and internal consumption with food, drink or capsule.
Inhaling Essential Oils
Breathing in essential oils heightens the senses and awareness. Here are some common ways to inhale essential oils:
- Direct inhalation: rub them into the palm of your hand, on a tissue or breathe them in from the bottle.
- Diffuse the oils: Use a diffuser to disperses the oils as a micro-fine vapor into the air.
- With a humidifier: Fill a humidifier with water. Put a tissue or small cloth, sprinkled with a few drops of oil, in front of the escaping steam.
- Steam method: Carefully pour hot water into a bowl and add a few drops of oil. Cover your head and bowl in a tent-like fashion with a towel. Breathe deeply and slowly.
Applying Essential Oils To Your Skin
Essential oils can also be applied topically or on the body. Many of the oils can be rubbed directly onto the affected area. Stronger oils should be diluted or mixed with a carrier oils to prevent skin irritations. Key points of application on the body are:
- Crown of head
- Behind ears
- Upper back
- Over vital organs
- Soles and top of feet
Taking Essential Oils Internally
Though some pure essential oils are safe to eat or drink, be careful. Not all essential oils should be taken internally. Be sure to read the label for safe consumption. We only sell Young Living Essential oils, and the labels are clearly marked. You should always follow the recommended dosage on individual product labels to ensure safety or seek the advice of a health professional before administering oils internally.
Ways to Take Essential Oils
- Put several drops of oil into an empty capsule and swallow with water.
- Add 1–2 drops to a glass of water or rice milk.
- Put 1–2 drops onto a piece of bread.
- Add to your meals when cooking.
- Add 1–2 drops onto a teaspoon of Blue Agave and swallow.
- With milder oils, drop directly onto the tongue and swallow.